Monday, January 23, 2006

I can't handle the truth

Holy crap. What a day. It was like Christmas and my birthday all rolled up into one amazing college hoop dream on Saturday when my Georgetown Hoyas beat then #1 ranked Dook, 87 - 84. Talk about epic! I was going bananas as Samwell and I cheered on our boys at the (new) Banc Cafe on 30th & 3rd. I think we might have scared the locals. And I accidentally broke a glass. And we were pretty sauced by the end of it all. But we won the game (and probably the drinking contest as well). It was amazing.

I've been a Hoya fan since my older brother arrived at the Hilltop in the mid-80s, when Patrick Ewing was lighting up the NCAA and Georgetown was a national powerhouse. In all of those years, I can't remember a bigger win for us. And this one was huge, suggesting that our program may finally be getting back on track after years of darkness under former coach Craig Esherick. John Thompson III coached a beaut of a game and our boys executed flawlessly. I still don't get what's wrong with Roy Hibbert but I don't care as long as we win. The guy's 7'2'' and he can't seem to ever collect any rebounds or score any points, but whatever.

Below are a couple of photos from various message boards with some brief commentary. The next game is tomorrow night at Notre Dame. Hopefully our boys can keep the momentum up and win one on the road. The new rankings aren't out yet, but I can't even remember the last time we had a ranking next to our name. Top 25? Prolly not. But some votes? I gotta think so.

**UPDATE** The ESPN poll came out and the Hoyas are in the 27th position, making tomorrow's game against Notre Dame in South Bend a must win if we want to crack the top 25. There's no resting on any laurels during the regular hoops season so we'll see if JT3 can keep the boys focused.

I'm so enjoyin' this. Here's the Hoya Hoops link to the game's write up. Back on the map, baby, back on the map. I can't wait to see our boys again at the Garden for the Big East!!! GO HOYAS!!!



Tip off. No one knew what the day would hold yet. It sure is good to see the fans pack into the MCI Center. I believe it was a capacity crowd of over 20,000 people. National tube, too. All good come Tourney Time.



Jeff Green, sans corn rows, drops two points worth of science on Sheldon Williams and the Dookies. Unfortunately, Sammy and I didn't have any sound at The Banc Cafe, but at some point Dick Vitale had to have removed his tongue from Coach K's arse to respect Jeff and Co. as they outplayed their opponents for the whole 40 minutes.



It's mother effin Miller Time for these two. Jeff Green and Brendan Bowman embrace amidst the crowds after the win. Bowman led Georgetown with 23 points and Green dropped 18. Congrats, boys, it was a helluva game.



I like this one because you can see Hibbie in the middle of the crowd. Interestingly he looks as confused and lost after the game as he did during it. Looks like the crowd is pretty pumped. You think they sold any beer at the Tombs on Saturday night?



After the game, JT III was asked what his old man said to him in the tunnel. And as always, JT II came correct: "Congratulations. I love you." So Best.



ESPN.com reports the news to the world. The table has been set. The question that remains is what the Hoyas do with their new found recognition. They bumped off the number one team. Will the elevate their play for the second half of the season? Or continue to play like the team that beat South Florida by three points just last week? The second half of the season starts tomorrow night, so stay tuned Hoyafans!!!

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend taking a look at these pics here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the blog. i live in new south and am enjoying my first year of emancipation from innocent catholic schoolgirl status (:
the tombs after the duke game was definitely crazy. the whole campus was swept up in free love.
LR CAS '09

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home