Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Pedro's Movie Review: Lucky Number Slevin

I just got back from a preview of the film "Lucky Number Slevin" at the Ziegfeld Theater. I won the ticket from www.thrillist.com by answering correctly the following question: Name one of the two songs sung by Bruce Willis and Danny Aiello in the seminal cinematic masterpiece that is Hudson Hawk ("Bunny! Ball Ball!"). Obviously, I know this shit like the back of my hand, submitted the correct answer* and was awarded two tickets. Also obviously, I went by myself because all of my friends are losers and can't make a 7pm movie on a school night. And I know: I gotta get new friends.

I thought I'd share a recap with you since none of you will see this anyway. No spoilers, btw, but it's not like you fucking care. I just thought I'd mention it in case someone I don't know reads this.

At the conclusion of director Paul McGuigan's brief introductory remarks, he saved his skin by thanking the Weinstein brothers ("Oh, yeah, I almost forgot..."), the lights dimmed and the movie rolled.

It wasn't half bad: not great or particularly memorable, but "not bad" or "pretty good" do describe it accurately. A little bit of a sag in the middle, but otherwise good pace throughout. Josh Hartnett does a pretty decent job, but, and it pains me to say this, Lucy Liu stole the show. She is great as the perky, quirky neighbor/love interest. Also, if it so happens that any of you actually see this, please keep an eye out for the post coital scene between Mr. Hartnett and Ms. Liu because I could swear that there was a nip slip (not entirely SFW) by Ms. Liu, but if you blink you'll miss it, so I'm not 100% sure and could use some confirmation one way or the other. Please let me know. Other cast members are solid although I don't believe any of the performances (or was it the script?) were outstanding. All in on my scale of one to four stars, I clock it in at 2.5/4. I don't see it getting wide release so I'll say it probably tops out in the US at around $30 million.

After the show I congratulated Mr. McGuigan as I walked by, to which he responded "thanks so much!" He was clearly very excited, as well he should be in my opinion. It's certainly a step up from Wicker Park, and if the fact that he's already announced his next two projects is any indication, the studios seem to believe in him as well. He seemed sincere during his remarks and I bet he's got a vicious, scotch fueled hangover this morning. I'm jealous. I bet he had a ball last night. Kudos to him.

On the way out I walked by Ms. Liu who I viewed as continuing to be pert and perky and clearly loving the attention she was getting. She's short, 5' 4" maybe? Then as I made my way up the aisle none other than Bruce Willis stepped in front of me, clad in a leather jacket and baseball cap (with hair). I was surprised at his height; he's gotta be 5' 10". At that moment, I was suddenly thrust into a serious quandary - I mean, it's not every day I stand in line behind John McClane, y'know? I wondered, if given the opportunity, do I ask him when Tallulah turns 18? Or should I amuse him with the Hudson Hizzie trivia contest by breaking out in a solo rendition of "Swingin on a Star"? Or, and ultimately probably most importantly, would it be Bungalow or Marquee later this evening and could he put me on the list? In the end however, I decided to keep my trap shut and my camera in my pocket.

Also had a brief sighting of Josh Hartnett, who is also taller-than-standard-Hollywood size but if was from pretty far away. Does that guy ever shower?

The best part of the evening included a gaggle of teenage girls who, when passing the refreshment stand were in awe of the free pepsi and popcorn ("Oh my God you guys! Look! Pepsi! Popcorn! And it's FREE!"). There was a pair of them that I suspect, based on the ample cleavage spilling out of their tops, had a Bruce Willis groping on the brain, but alas, I went home following the film and cannot report on Mr. Willis' late night high jinx.

On a final note, the gift bag was crap. It included a copy of the ever popular "Watch" magazine and a baseball hat that said IWC Schaff Hausen (IWC sponsored the event and was featured in the film). Very very exciting stuff, no doubt.

*Swingin on a Star and Side by Side, obvs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home