Friday, February 03, 2006

Sing us 26 songs, you're the Piano Man

Last night was epic. The girlfriend and I got the special chance to go and see the Piano Man himself, Mr. Billy Joel. And let me say this straight up: Homeboy rocked the Garden. His voice was spectacular. His playing was aggressive and precise. The band was tight. He rocked for almost two and a half hours and the absolutely packed house screamed for more, me among them. He sang 26 songs for us and what I remember thinking is how many of those songs were a part of my youth: summers Humarock, Mass, specifically. I remember playing The Stranger's opening song, Movin' Out, over and over and over until I knew every word. When he played it last night I went a little bananas. But the best part is, so did Billy: he forgot to play an entire verse of the song - and he ended up cutting it short. When the band members told him he screwed it up, he was like "what the ?!?" and followed that with a classic "I guess tonight I'm de-composing." Pretty funny.

Check out the set list:

Prelude/Angry Young Man
My Life
Miami 2017 (Seen the Lights Go Out On Broadway)
Everybody Loves You Now
You're My Home (dedicated to his wife - awwwww)
New York State of Mind
Stiletto
Zanzibar
Allentown
The Night Is Still Young
Sometimes A Fantasy
Sleeping With the Television On
Goodnight Saigon
Movin' Out (abridged version, Doh!)
The Downeaster Alexa
She's Always A Woman
Keeping The Faith
The River of Dreams
I Go To Extremes
We Didn't Start the Fire
Big Shot
It's Still Rock and Roll To Me
You May Be Right
Only The Good Die Young
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant (he ad-libbed the line "Bottle of red, bottle of white, not gonna have another drink tonight" and the crowd went nuts)
Piano Man (obvs)

Thank you to LPerk and Marco D for the tix. Thank you to Billy Joel for sharing the songs. I can't remember what I had for lunch today but I'll never forget last night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home