Friday, February 17, 2006

To Do: Pillow Fight in Union Square

I think I'll have to file this one alongside the Idiotarod in the "I would never have thought of this" category. It's a pillow fight. In Union Square. Tomorrow, Saturday, February 18 (via Newmindspace, and don't miss the Subway Advisory .pdf - it's great). And it's just the kind of thing I'd take time out of my day, or specifically, time out of my shopping at the Union Squizz Green Market to watch. Hipsters beating each other up with pillows - don't even try to deny its genius. It, like Idiotarod before it, originated elsewhere. Apparently these people have organized pillow fights in Toronto, London, Madrid and Tel Aviv (click through for pics of each event). Who knew pillow fighting was a global sport? Can you say new Olympic Event?

Now pretty much everyone's had a pillow fight at some point in their lives. Be it as a kid with your siblings as a fun event to annoy the baby sitter, or perhaps later on in life as some sort of socially acceptible form of fetish or foreplay. The point is that it's a universal activity that is known the world over, which is part of the brilliance here. In fact, the fine people over at Guinness World Records have the largest pillow fight ever as having 2997 participants in the fine town of Groningen, The Netherlands. If I were a bettin' man, I'd wager that this one won't be that big. But, I digress. You say 'Pillow Fight', and people know what's up.

Clearly however, Union Square presents some challenges to the typical pillow fight location. That is, it's in a parking lot, surfaced with cement which - and I'll take a leap here - is much less forgiving than, say, a mattress in your average bedroom. Thus, the organizers of said pillow fight, in their infinite wisdom and concern for the general welfare of the participants, thought of some rules which I'm sure will be strictly adhered to and rigorously enforced. To wit:

Rules: Soft pillows only! Swing lightly, many people will be swinging at once. Do not swing at people without pillows or with cameras. Remove glasses beforehand! The event is FREE and appropriate for ALL AGES. Wait until the signal to begin! This event is more fun with feathers ;-)

PJs optional. (Emphasis ours.)

PJs optional. Ohhh, *Snap*! PJs! We here at Pedro's dig us some PJs. But that's another story. So if you've got nothing to do and you find yourself in the neighborhood, drop on by, write up your take on it and email it and I'll post it here. I can't make it myself because by 2pm tomorrow I'll be grillin' and chillin' like Bobby Flay in sunny Miami, Florida. Also, based on my Idiotarod experience, the police presence will be significant if the proper licenses and whatnot are not on hand. If they try to stop the fight, it could become some sort of riot fueled by an angry down-filled mob and I would love to see pics of that. So on that note, I am Out as I've gotta go meet Ralphie-mal for a few kooktails. Later Peeps! See you in a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home